7-day course Autism-friendly Coach Practitioner
We believe that an Autism-friendly Coach is committed to supporting people with some kind of autism and empowering them to find solutions for their everyday life. A good Autism-friendly Coach can stimulate the achievement of goals that seemed impossible at first.
Self-management and autism
Our experience has shown us that people with autism are far more capable of personal development if they have the help of a coach. Especially now that the financial provisions for assistance are under pressure, we are of the opinion that people with autism could be even more motivated to develop their own skills in order to remain in control themselves, and consequently become less dependent on assistance.
Our background in the field of autism & communication helps us take the many facets of how people with autism process information into account in this course. The course material has been developed in collaboration with Gijs Horvers, Drs. Carlo Post and Dr. Jaap Brand (all Asperger’s syndrome) and they each expressed their own point of view on what is needed for people with autism. As a result, our 7-day course is also very suitable for people with a form of autism.
There is no entry requirement to take this course. We believe it is important that our students feel motivated to learn from each other and with each other.
- People with autism who want to take responsibility for their communication
- People with and without autism who find it important to be able to connect with each other
- Partners of people with autism
- Children of people with autism
- Anyone who is privately or professionally involved with people with autism and wants to learn about stress and communication
- Employees working in care and assistance
- Teaching staff, student counsellors, care coordinators, school psychologists
- Job coaches and so-called re-integration coaches
- Social workers working in the community and WMO (Dutch acronym for law regarding Social Support) officials
- Coaches who want to specialize in Autism-friendly coaching
- Parents who want to learn to speak and, above all, understand their child’s language
Which topics are discussed in the Autism-friendly Coach course?
To be able to properly coach people with autism, you need to understand autism and the way in which information is processed. A healthy attitude in which the coach is demonstrably convinced of possibilities and solutions is a must.
During the course, the aspects of collaborative communication will be discussed. Connecting communication with us consists of the following aspects:
- Being able to make verbal and non-verbal contact
- Ability to be neutral and non-judgmental
- Developing awareness of the influence of your own mental state and attitude
- Visualizing auditory information in various ways
- Learning to think in a positive way and translate this into language
- Developing concrete and specific communication styles, both verbal and non-verbal
- Use of Language Patterns that help you learn how to keep asking questions about the essentials, and help your client learn this too, in order for them to take control of their own communication and the people with whom they communicate.
Stress and sensory overload
During this course we spend a lot of time on sensory overload. People with autism often have difficulty understanding the connection between different events. Because of the detailed way of thinking, they sometimes struggle to place events in the proper context. At the same time, the fragmented interpretation of observations slows down information processing. Sensory overload can be the effect of this, which is then frequently expressed through behaviour that is seen as undesirable by the environment. Behaviour is always caused by something! The trick is to learn to recognize this cause together with the client so that they feel more agency and control well before sensory overload is generated.
Supported by examples from daily practice
The course to become Autism-friendly Coach is given by Marjon Kuipers or Saskia Buma. Nynke Zuurmond, Leander Westerbeek van Eerten and Jellienke Winters are experienced trainers with autism and they bring a very enlightening, fascinating, and honest dimension to the course, by offering an up-close-and-personal look at practical everyday life. We also offer opportunities to work together with people with autism, so that they can hone their own skills as an Autism-friendly Coach
How long does the Autism-friendly! Coach Practitioner course last?
The whole course takes 7 days, once every 3 to 4 weeks. The participants are expected to be actively involved in the course material in the weeks between actual course days. The course is offered various parts of the country and is always given by a trainer with autism and one without autism.
How does the certification work?
The certification happens on day 7 and is intended for students who want to continue as a coach. They will write a paper (approx. 10 pages) on a topic of their choice, or do a different kind of assignment in relation to autism in which the course material serves as a guideline. If you would like to see an example, please check the downloads for such assignments completed by our coaches.
After successfully completing the course, you will receive the Autism-friendly Coach certificate and, if we consider you suitable, your name or practice name will be entered in the register of the Autism Academy. You will also be allowed to use the exclusive and registered Autism-friendly Coach logo.
If you do not want to certify and just follow the 6-day course you will receive a certificate of participation from us with an Autism-friendly! affirmation.
Personal Development Plan (PDP)
Students can also opt for a Personal Development Plan (POP, in Dutch). Most people with autism make use of this option. Here, too, you can choose to follow the 6-day course with or without the additional certification day.
To continue to challenge our students to deepen their knowledge of autism, we regularly have interesting one- and multi-day master classes such as Positive Psychology, Autism & Attachment, Autism & Women, Autism & Anxiety, Autism & Mediation. Look at our options via the button below.
We make sure we are always up to speed with the latest developments in autism & communication. On the first day of the course, you will receive our book PLAN B as course material. On our course participants page you will find our latest updates.
Are you enrolled in a study programme or course for your (future) profession in the year for which you file your taxes? Or have you incurred expenses for a so-called EVC procedure (Recognition of Acquired Competencies)? If you meet the conditions for deduction of study costs, you may be eligible for a tax deduction of certain study costs, such as tuition fees and textbooks.
The UWV sometimes provides grants in the form of a course voucher. The Autisme Aacademie is one of the suppliers of courses recognized by UWV under the ‘Purchasing framework course’ scheme.
- The SLIM grant Grant for learning and development in SMEs
- STEP grant (Stimulans ArbeidsmarktPositie)
- SKJ Stichting Kwaliteitsregister Jeugd number SKJ 199373, 103
- Registered teacher with registration number cWQWiSyLBh. 96 RU (register hours) included in www.registererleraar.nl
- UWV purchasing framework course for benefit recipients.
- ABvC (professional association of counsellors) has issued accreditation for 44
- Our course is also recognised as ongoing education for the Labour Experts of the UWV and as continuing education for MfN Register Mediators.
- Quality Register V&V and register care professionals The following registers apply (ID number: 342468) 35-37 PE points
- GGZ Schooling (mental health workers) SPV Scholing (social-psychiatric nurses) Verstandelijk Gehandicapten Zorg Scholing (special needs carers) WijkverpleegkundeScholing (district nurses) Verpleegkundig Specialists (nurse practitioners)
- The course is further recognised as a course for the promotion of expertise and can often be remunerated from the PGB (depending on the PGB granting conditions).
*ask about the conditions